As you may know, I am a big fan of discussing ways to execute a healthy lifestyle, as it’s often the hardest puzzle piece to work. Along with keeping meals creative and satisfying, they also need to be well-rounded and easy to make. Here are some go-to lunch ideas.
- Nom Nom Paleo hit the nail on the head with her hot-dog as the bun lunch box idea. Using a good hot dog (such as Applegate Organic and grass-fed beef dogs), split it down the middle and load in some sauerkraut and peppers. Pair w/ more veg and fruit.
- An apple-sundwich (sliced apple w/ sunbutter in the middle) paired with roasted Brussels sprouts and grilled chicken tenders.
- Salad of many sorts
- Tuna salad or salmon salad wrapped in romaine lettuce or butter lettuce. Needing more carbs? Sweet potato chips on the side.
- Make meatballs on the weekend, and come the work week, pair some of the meatballs with spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.
- Soup galore. The slow-cooker is a miracle kitchen tool.
- Shrimp cocktail with acorn squash (I roast mine on 400F for about an hour and when it’s done I drizzle it w/ cinnamon and coconut mana).
- Smoothie – so easy and nutritious for an on-the-go lunch.
- Mini meatloaf muffins
- Nine times out of 10, my lunch is a derivative of dinner. For example I made a whole chicken in a slow-cooker yesterday and I am using that meat for lunch, combining it some roasted cinnamon, ginger carrots and a spinach salad.
If your lunch is looking limp, dress it up with some guacamole, homemade chunky apple sauce, a piece of dark chocolate or some kombucha. There are many real food lunch ideas, just step back and try to think outside of the box.